This Selux project on the Reichpietschufer canal bank road in Berlin was carried out in no time at all – with around 6 months between lighting technology planning, tender and implementation. Since December 2019, modular Lif light columns have adorned the façade of the Social Science Centre in Berlin.
Founded in 1969, the Berlin Social Science Centre is an extra-mural research institute in the field of the social sciences, which cooperates closely with the universities in Berlin. As well as the post-modern part, dating from 1979 – 1988, the building complex of the Berlin Social Science Centre also includes the only building to have survived the Second World War in this area of the city – the neo-renaissance Imperial Insurance Office, which was constructed in 1894.
Four Lif light columns based on the plans of lighting planners Bettina Wipfler and Edgar Schlaefle now illuminate the façade of this listed building. Each of the slim, cylindrical luminaires has three different façade modules that have been individually adapted based on lighting-engineering calculations to their short distance to the building – the light columns are positioned just five to seven metres away. The façade modules attain highly uniform lighting, which avoids any light glare inside the building while two twinspots in each of the Lif light columns ensure light is beamed onto its top section. For this, both twinspot and façade module are seated in individual mounting elements so they can be aligned later on at the location.
Besides the state-of-the-art lighting technology, which ensures the historic building façade of the Berlin Social Science Centre is an attractive sight by night, the elegant-purist design of the Lif light columns has created a new setting that has also upgraded the road alongside the canal bank.