In autumn 2003, the four single Schupmann lanterns that had been „returned“ to Pariser Platz in 1992 were substituted by twin-bracket versions of the replica historical luminaires. The original lantern was designed by architect Prof. Ludwig Schupmann in 1887/88 for Unter den Linden.
During the Third Reich these lanterns, which were equipped with carbon arc lamps in those days, were removed and replaced by lanterns designed by Albert Speer when the road was redesigned for the 1936 Olympic Games. After the war, Berlin‘s one-time magnificent boulevard was „subjected to“ being illuminated by standard whip-lash street luminaires.
Close to the buildings a smaler historic lantern Corona is placed.