Extended Lighting – Key to the Smart City
For the city
Rather than a far-off vision of the future, the changeover to networked cities is already happening around us and across the world, big cities are also growing. The increasing overcrowding is presenting human beings with huge challenges when it comes to communal living. At the same time, digitalisation is providing new opportunities in organizing how we live our lives together and increasing the quality of life in cities. Already today, light is an essential part of the urban infrastructure. Smart Lighting sees Selux take this a step further, building new bridges to ensure a smart future for our cities.
Less congestion, better orientation, more information and safety – smart, networked technology has huge potential for increasing the quality of life in our cities. Both new and existing lighting stock is already a component part of the infrastructure but with Selux Smart Lighting, it can become a key element in the smart city of tomorrow
Control of lighting is needs-based by means of sensors
– Brightness control of individual or multiple light spots depending on motion of persons
– Light accompanies movements
– Enhanced safety
– Less light pollution
– Enhances well-being
Light-spot based control without control cables or higher-level radio systems
– Programming of lighting parame- ters at the location via app
– Real-time dimming profiles – Twilight control
– Less light pollution
– Low-cost since no control cables or higherlevel radio systems are required
Luminaires are connected to one another via a higher-level communication network. Different data for lighting or from sensors can be transferred.
– Central programming of lighting parameters via light management software or at location via app
– Real-time dimming profiles with day-dependent dimming levels
– Twilight control
– Information on energy consumption, operating times and active monitoring of luminaire temperature
– Energy saving
– Less light pollution
– Flexible adjustment of lighting parameters – Monitoring of energy consumption
– Fault messages, early detection of failures, optimization of repairs and maintenance
– Lighting parameters and sensor data can be displayed in the Smart City platform or in existing management software
Sensors in the luminaire or on the light pole measure environmental or weather data.
– Real-time measurement of envi- ronmental data (noise, particulate matter, nitrogen oxide, sulphur dioxide, CO2, ozone etc.)
– Real-time measurement of weather data (temperature, air humidity, pressure, precipitation type and quantity, wind force and direction etc.)
– Monitoring and representation of environ- mental parameters
– Limit value monitoring
– More closely intermeshed sensor networks for improved local weather forecasts /severe weather warnings or display of environmental data
Weather data influences distribution of light from luminaire.
– The light distribution of the lumi- naire changes depending on weather conditions
– LED modules inside the luminaire are activated differently depending on the weather
– Lighting is optimally adapted to the weather conditions
– Increased safety – Energy-saving
Components in the luminaire or on the pole increase safety.
– Integration of camera systems
– Integration of loudspeakers
– Integration of emergency button
– Increased safety in public spaces
– Simplified procedures in emergencies
Wi-fi components mounted on luminaire or light pole.
– Broadband internet for provision of web-based information and services
– Enhances attractiveness of urban areas
– Incorporation of local trade or tourism
– Transmission of localised web content
– Analysis of usage behaviour of users (frequency of usage, dwelling times, origin etc.)
Information can be called up via components like info buttons or display screens integrated in the pole.
– Integration of information and media technology
– Information can be provided for tourists
– Information can be provided for the visually impaired (e.g. audible timetables) – Advertising
– Public transport timetable displays – Park guidance systems
Sensors can detect traffic situations.
– Improves traffic situations in public spaces – reduces traffic searching for parking spaces
– Improves traffic situations in public spaces
– Reduces traffic searching for parking spaces – Improves environmental situations due to less pollutants and noise
Charging stations integrated on or inside the pole enable charging of electric vehicles.
– Charging of electric vehicles
– Different charging point access options (ad-hoc charging, app, RFID card)
– Online billing of charging costs
– Free/occupied messages to information systems
– Closely intermeshed charging infrastructure for electric vehicles promotes emissions-free electrical mobility in towns and cities
– Illuminated erection location
– Saves additional elements having to be installed in urban areas
Smart City luminaires by Selux
Connected to Life – for a better quality of life
Key questions in the use of smart technologies are: How can we use it to improve our lives, make them more enjoyable, interesting and safer? Smart Lighting by Selux follows the „Connected to Life“ principle – rather than an end in itself, technology is closely connected to life and the needs, expectations and potential of human beings. This is a strategy deployed by Selux to make the smart city a goal that is worth striving for – a city with a sustainable quality of life for all.
Urban lighting forms a logical basis for this approach since it provides a huge number of installation points with a ready supply of electricity. In this way smart luminaires become nodes in an extensive digital network – a new role for lighting technology, for which Selux is optimally prepared. Consistently modular products like the Lif light column provide the optimal prerequisites for the integration of smart functions. The profound technical understanding of Selux’ experts enables us to work with customers, users and partners to devise solutions that are perfectly tailored to individual situations.
Selux Smart City Test Facility
Discover our on site Berlin test facility in person — we look forward to your visit!